Modric valuation yet to be met

Real Madrid have been strongly linked with the Croatian playmaker, and he is understood to be keen on completing a switch to the Spanish capital.

Modric has not joined Spurs on their pre-season tour of the United States and is training back in London as his future remains up in the air.

Tottenham will not stand in the way of a player that wants to move on, with it important that those on their books are fully committed to the cause.

They are, however, prepared to stand firm on their valuation and will not part with Modric for less than they believe he is worth.

Talent

As that figure is yet to be met, the highly-rated 26-year-old remains on the books at White Hart Lane.

“There is no news at the moment,” said Villas-Boas.

“The player is training in London. There have been no further bids, no improved bids. The value hasn’t been met for what we think is correct.

“We have a big squad and we are fielded in most of the positions, so we just have to wait and see how that deal goes or doesn’t go.

Casillas trusts Real over Modric

Modric is reportedly keen to join the Spanish champions, but Tottenham will not let the Croatia international leave until their valuation is met.

Real captain Casillas did not want to be drawn too much into the club’s bid to sign Modric, but has backed Mourinho’s judgement when it comes to improving the squad.

“I know him,” the Spain goalkeeper told AS. “He has been a great player ever since he signed for Tottenham. I faced him in the Euros and he had a very good season.

“If the manager thinks he ought to be then I am sure he will be at the level of this squad. It is not our responsibility to say anything more.

“The club and the manager are those that decide what is best for the team to move a step forward.”

Experience

Meanwhile, Casillas is hoping that Real can reach the UEFA Champions League final this season after falling at the semi-final stage in the last two years.

He added: “Our goals are similar to those last year. We are hoping to move a step forward like we have in the other seasons since Mourinho has been with us.

“We want to win the league again, the Super Cup and then after two years of arriving at the doors of the Champions League final, we want to reach the final of Europe’s main competition.

“I think we have extraordinary fans, a magnificent stadium and an incredible squad. With all of this it is clear that this team deserves a European Cup, but there are many teams fighting for this title.

“There are steps we have taken. For example, two years ago players like (Mesut) Ozil or (Sami) Khedira didn’t have the experience they have now. The same applies with Karim (Benzema). But thinking about the 10th European Cup is not an obsession because we face the start of the league and the Super Cup first.”

Mourinho open-minded on Kaka

Kaka joined Real from AC Milan in 2009, but has struggled to make a sustained impact at the Santiago Bernabeu and has been linked with a return to his former club.

Though the Brazilian is not a guaranteed starter for the Spanish champions, Mourinho is keeping an open mind regarding the playmaker’s future.

“I don’t know what will happen with his future and neither does he, but between us there are no doubts because he knows what I think and the market is open until August 31,” said Mourinho in Marca.

“Anything can happen. He could be a Real Madrid player next season and if he stays I would be delighted because we have a great relationship and he offers us things.”

Surprise

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani earlier reiterated his desire for the club to re-sign Kaka, but admitted the financial issue could be a stumbling block.

Quoted in Corriere dello Sport, he said: “There’s a long way to go with the negotiations. There are a thousand things that can scupper the deal, but great loves have the potential to surprise you.

“The important thing is that we’ve cast the first stone, but the ball is not in Milan’s court.

“The financial issue remains that the two systems are very different. Once a player leaves one country he can’t enjoy the same perks when he returns.

“We’re certainly interested. Kaka is a great player who has stayed in the hearts of all Milan fans. Let’s see. We’ll do what we can.”

He added in Gazzetta dello Sport: “We will do everything possible to bring him back to Milan, but we’re under no illusions.

“We need to be patient but at least I’ll be kept busy until the end of August.”

Jese and Deulofeu links dismissed

Striker Jese, 19, is rated as Real Madrid’s top prospect and has already made his debut for Jose Mourinho’s senior side.

Likewise 18-year-old Deulofeu is held in similar regard by Barcelona’s coaching staff.

Both have been strongly linked with moves to England, but despite interest top Spanish agent Gines Carvajal has insisted that he expects neither of his young charges to be on the move.

“I am very fortunate to have some very important players and I hope they reach the top, although I do wish the media would give them less ‘hype’,” he told Fichajesycracks.

On Jese, he added: “He will make his mark, teams ask for him – but it is bad luck for them as Jese is happy at Real Madrid and vice-versa.”

Regarding Deulofeu, he said: “With these players as I have said it is inevitable, but Barcelona wants to keep Gerard at all costs and will not sell.”

Both players starred in Spain’s European Under 19 victory earlier this summer.

Milan not ruling out Kaka

The Brazilian became a talismanic figure during his time at the San Siro before leaving for Real Madrid in 2009.

He has struggled to command a regular starting role at Real in recent times and has been linked with a switch elsewhere this summer.

A move back to Milan is reported to be Kaka’s preference and Rossoneri vice-president Adriano Galliani initially hinted that something could be done, before admitting financial factors could threaten a deal.

History

Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has now declared that the club are still open to the idea of bringing back Kaka, although they will have to study the situation more closely before making a final decision.

“I’ve not spoken a lot about this with Galliani,” he told the Milan Channel.

“He’s in our hearts for the player and for the man he is.

“I am not closed to a similar possibility, even if we must pay attention to the conditions.

“Kaka is one of those players who made Milan history.”

Milan see Kaka ‘difficulties’

The former World Player of the Year and Ballon d’Or winner first moved to Spain in a £50.7million switch in 2009 on a six-year contract.

But Kaka has struggled for form and fitness at Real and he could leave the Primera Liga champions this summer if any interested clubs meet a reported £40m asking price.

The Brazil international’s agent has previously revealed talks are taking place with Milan but the Italian club’s vice-president, Adriano Galliani, worries any transfer could prove too expensive.

With tax laws in Spain giving players lucrative contracts, Galliani told Sky Italia: “It is very difficult.

“The negotiations are all to be done. There are a thousand difficulties that could well make it impossible.

“As always, the problem is money. Milan cannot afford some wages, especially as in Spain they have a different fiscal structure.

“The law there has changed for future wages but the contracts that were already signed are still valid under the old tax code.”

Robinho wants Kaka at Milan

Kaka swapped Milan for Madrid in a €65million deal in 2009 but the Brazilian has struggled to make the same impact in three years at the Bernabeu.

Robinho, who is a former Real star himself, admits he would be delighted if his international team-mate came back to Serie A.

“I would be very happy if Kaka returned to Milan,” Robinho told Marca.

“We are team-mates with the national team and we could achieve a lot together, especially now that both of us want to get ready for the 2014 World Cup.”

Brazil host the World Cup in two years’ time and Robinho, 28, and Kaka, 30, both retain ambitions of being involved.

Wenger – No Sahin deal done

Sahin has been strongly linked with a move to the Premier League after starting just two league games for Real Madrid last season following his arrival from Borussia Dortmund.

He was mooted as a makeweight in Real’s bid to sign Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Luka Modric, but Sahin last month stated his intention to remain at the Santiago Bernabeu.

However, Real coach Jose Mourinho confirmed earlier on Friday that it may be in the 23-year-old’s interests to take in a loan spell in order to play regularly.

“I want to be honest and Sahin is living in this grey zone because the market is open,” Mourinho told Marca.

“If the possibility arises for him to go to another place it would be better for him to leave and to be able to have more minutes on the pitch.”

Wrong

But, speaking after Arsenal lost 2-0 to Manchester City in a pre-season friendly in China, Wenger denied he has added Sahin to his squad.

Wenger, who has also been linked with Santi Cazorla, commented: “We did not sign anybody today, this report is wrong. We are not signing anybody at the moment – we are not close. In the future you never know.”

Regarding the future of captain Robin van Persie, Wenger added: “We could come back forever on Van Persie. We have our main strikers at home and Van Persie is one of them. But we have Podolski and Giroud who are at home, so we have plenty of strikers.

“For us at the moment it is to prepare for the season – it is more than any individual player.”

Real asking too much for Joselu

The 22-year-old, who has played for Spain’s Under 21s in the past, has been building a reputation playing for Real’s B team in the domestic third division.

Joselu is under contract until June 2014, but he is attracting interest from Hoffenheim and the Bundesliga club could be prepared to offer him first-team football.

However, Hoffenheim manager Markus Babbel is less than impressed with Real’s initial valuation of at least €8m and does not want to continue talks until the Spanish club reconsider.

Former Liverpool and Germany defender Babbel told Deutsche Presseagentur: “A transfer fee of €8-€10m for a third-tier player is absolutely inexplicable. This is too much. The deal is off.

“We are still interested, of course. But we are initially bailing out of this. Should Real Madrid be happy with less than that (fee), they are welcome to give us a phone call.”

Villas-Boas thinks Real Madrid wants to sign Modric

As The Guardian reported yesterday, Villas-Boas, the Portuguese coach, who is negotiating a move to Tottenham bench, has known that the Spurs could sell Luka Modric to Real Madrid. As noted by English newspaper, the coach, who is also upset because president Daniel Levy is “talking with other ten coaches”, would have said “no” to the transfer of the Croatian footballer, 26 years old, as a condition for his signing. Meanwhile, Levy, who needs incomes because his team did not classify for the Champions League, would prefer sell the player to Real Madrid (both clubs have a good relationship after the transfer of Van der Vaart). The other options are Chelsea and Man. United.

Real Madrid has in mind the option of Modric, star of the Premiership since joining Tottenham in 2008 from Dinamo Zagreb for 20 million euros, if Silva transfer operation fails. But the Spanish midfielder remains as the major target of the white team. David Silva would be the star signing of the summer. Besides Tottenham would sell Modric for about 40 million euros. The same price Real Madrid is willing to pay to sign Silva.

Modric tried to leave Tottenham last summer. Then, Chelsea (coached by Villas-Boas) submitted a bid of 27 million euros and the answer was “no”. His contract ends in 2016 (signed the renewal in 2010) and is fully affected by the salary policy that Tottenham will impose shortly (top earnings: 4.2 million euros a year). He has played well against Spain and Italy at Euro 2012 and before that and knowing the news about the possible transfer to Real Madrid he said: “Real Madrid is the best club in the world”.

Jose Mourinho has said several times that Modric is a great player. The Portuguese coach commented during Euro 2012 that the player can play as a playmaker and as a midfielder (could play alongside Xabi Alonso). Luka is an elite player in European football, with quality and goal skills who is not 27 years old yet.

The commitment of the player is to leave Tottenham, where he thinks he has already completed a cycle after four seasons. Luka wants to change and enjoy other challenges. His salary will not be low. The Croatian manages more offers, so he would not sign for less than 5 million euros per year.